Location Aberlour Distillery
The village of Aberlour produces two Scottish specialties that are well matched: the shortbreads (pure butter shortbread biscuits) and whisky. At the end of the village, reclused at the bottom of a small glen, and away from the road, the distillery could almost go unnoticed if its name wasn’t inscribed in crimson letters on the railings. Aberlour seems to be built on an ancient druidic site, at the confluence of the River Spey and Lour (in Gaelic, the babbling source). The spring water that runs down the slopes of Mount Benrinnes and descends into the valley of the Lour is filtered through thick layers of peat before arriving at the distillery. Particularly soft, it is not treated.
Historical data Aberlour Distillery
Although the brand has existed since 1879, the distillery was founded in 1826 by James Gordon and Peter Weir. The original distillery, which was destroyed in a fire, was rebuilt in 1879 by James Fleming (1830-1895), which is the date indicated on the bottles.
James Fleming (1830-1895), creator of the Aberlour Distillery, was an enterprising man, visionary and compassionate. Son of a local farmer, he became a grain merchant and counted among its customers many whisky distillers.
He opened his own distillery in order to create a high-quality whisky. He acquired land in Aberlour together with the invaluable water source.
He cleverly built it near the source “St Drostan’s well”, holding back this water of quality. In its early years, the energy required to operate the distillery wasn’t taken from steam, but from the force of the water flowing nearby.
The company started in 1879, and one year later, he began to reap the rewards of his labor. James Fleming was an extremely generous man who left behind a lasting legacy to the people of Aberlour. He built the city hall, the Cottage Hospital and Penny Bridge.
Reserved and modest, he lived by the family motto “Let the deed show” (“the facts speak for themselves”). James Fleming values (wisdom, generosity and discretion) today continue to be embodied in the Aberlour Distillery.
In 1882, the distillery was sold to R. Thorne & Sons. In 1898, an explosion in the mill caused a second fire which destroyed several buildings in the distillery and most of whisky tanks. The site was rebuilt under the direction of Charles Chree Doig, designer of many other distilleries in Scotland, and six months later, production was back to normal.
The restrictions of the First World War lead to the cessation of production from 1917 to 1919. In 1920, the site was sold to W. H. Holt & Sons.
Similarly, in 1942, the Second World War led to the cessation of production of the distillery which was sold to James Donald Stewart. In 1945, the site was sold to Campbell & Sons Ltd. In 1973, the distillery was expanded with the installation of another brew kettle and a new still. One year later, the company Pernod buys Campbell & Sons. A year later, the Pernod Ricard group is created, which is still part of the Aberlour brand.
Avant-gardist distillery, Aberlour has modernized before the other in 1960, replacing the open flame heating by steam, and wood fermentation tanks by stainless steel tanks. However, these improvements do not come to replace all traditional methods, and Aberlour still uses the same ingredients as a century earlier and nothing will come to replace the expert hands of its master craftsmen.
The water used in the distillery is soft. It flows over the granite of Ben Rinnes, in the form of a source in the Allachie valley and is channeled over 800 m to the distillery.
Type of the Whisky of the Aberlour Distillery
The whisky is nutty, chewy, with a nutmeg spice, and is rather drunk with dessert or digestive.
In general, it is very aromatic.
Style: Soft, relatively full flavor. Hazel, spices (nutmeg?), with pronounced notes of sherry. With dessert or digestive, depending on the maturity. (Michael Jackson)
|Date of creation:||1879|
|Spring:||la source Auchinderran|
|Mash tune(s):||12,12 tons semi-Lauter|
|Washback(s):||6 en acier inoxydable|
|Stills:||2 wash stills 12.500 L
2 spirit stills 16.000 L